Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Ship Wreck Sites - Coron, Palawan

Also included in the Coron Island Loop is a visit to one of it's ship wreck sites. Coron boasts of several of these dive sites, remnants of WWII Japanese ships which were sunk down. These are well preserved and currently have become a home of abundant marine life. Dubbed as "The Wrecks of Coron", these have been a favorite diving spot for both local and foreign tourists. Several PADI accredited diving agencies can be found in the town of Coron offering their services for the amateur and professional divers.

Honestly, I was not really looking forward to this stop simply because of my fear of the unknown creatures of the deep sea. But since the wreck we were going to was the nearest and located on not so deep waters, I decided to go for it. The best way to conquer our fears is to face them, so they say. Besides, our guide guaranteed that the site is safe.

the wreck

Now, I am glad that I went for it. Even if I did not dive to the actual wreck, it was visible enough in the clear waters surrounding Coron. Merely seeing it gave me this morbid feeling of how it must be when these ships were gunned down during the war. It was like WWII, though ended decades ago, was simply there hidden below the waters' surface, with a lot of stories to tell.

lots of hungry fishes

But enough of the morbidity, the site also offers an abundance of marine life, thanks to the care the people of Coron have given to their seas. Healthy corals abound around the wreck, which drew a habitat of different species of fish. No wonder our guide, Kuya Anthony, insisted that we bring some bread, the highlight of this stop was actually when we started feeding the fish. It was so much fun really, feeding them and swimming with them. I'm sure my nephews and nieces would have loved this experience, I better bring them along next time.

this one is so hungry, it even nibbled my finger

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...